Monday, November 15, 2004

Marketwatch sold.

Marketwatch (MKTW) just announced that it has been acquired by Down Jones for around $18/share. This is a much higher price than I ever expected a buyer to pay for Marketwatch. I came very close to adding a few myself in mid-August, when Marketwatch was trading around $9/share. I expected it to become cheaper still. But I was wrong.

Going forward, I think we will see the last remaining pure-information sites getting picked up. Among the candidates - IVillage (IVIL), CNET (CNET) and The Street.com (TSCM). I own a few of IVillage and it is still a buy. I am watching CNET and The Street.com and will buy at 10-15% discount from current prices.

With The Stree.com, there is a real possibility that the suitors who failed to buy Marketwatch will eye it next.

1 Comments:

At 3:59 AM, Blogger Guru said...

Appreciate the feedback.
The 1-800-Flowers connection is interesting. I see 1-800-Flowers as a takeover target, though, like with Marketwatch, I may never get it since I am waiting for it to become dirt-cheap.
In fact, if IVillage plans to continue as a standalone entity, they will have to buy someone like 1-800-Flowers to augment ad revenue with some "real" shopping revenue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home