Saturday, August 21, 2004

2 recent hits - sorta.

I had 2 interesting hits recently.

  • Warren Buffett announced that he bought 8 million shares of Pier 1 Imports (PIR). I had bought shares of Pier 1 just that week after watching it for a long time! I dislike the retail sector in general, partly because i cannot keep track of the latest ins and outs when it comes to fads and also because this sector is heavily followed by Wall Street thus overvaluing most players. Pier 1 started looking good after they disappointed the Street recently.
    I am also watching 3 others in this sector now - Saks (SKS), Tiffany (TIF) and Sharper Image (SHRP) - will probably be adding in the coming weeks.
  • Carl Icahn announced that he may end up with close to a 12% stake in Mylan Labs (MYL). I own a few Mylan shares and plan to continue adding at its current price. As i detailed in an earlier post, the entire generics sector looks attractive.

Given the large number of stocks i own, these hits are most likely just flukes for my portfolio. Still, a few more hits of this nature, and i may be able to claim lucky coincidence instead of flukes ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home