Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Takeover plays - the beginnings

First came the boom, then the bubble and eventually the 2000 crash. A predictable pattern if one were to go by the market's history, but irrationality is a hallmark of the human mind. Mostly due to luck (and to some extent due to the large car payments for my shiny new car) i didn't take part in the action. Phew - that was close.
The pessimism following the crash seemed like the perfect time to enter the market seriously; so i did. I wasn't still satisfied with the short term nature of my investments and the fact that i had to keep a watch on my holdings on a weekly basis lest i miss the latest exec fraud!
I decided it was time to reduce the headache and only go for long-term investments. That wasn't enough though - where is the closure ? One way to get some closure eventually is to target companies that are likely takeover targets. So i started picking such targets from Feb 2003 onwards. So far the hit rate has been much higher than i initially imagined. Hope the trend continues.
Anyways, one year into my strategy, i have begun to forget all my hits. What better way to record the hits and misses than a blog! That is the story behind this.
I plan to use this forum for doing the following :
a. Analyse possible takeover targets.
b. Record the hits in my portfolio.
c. Dig deeper into public info that indicate possible acquisitions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home